Friday, December 31, 2010

Maria's To Do List for 2011 or Maybe Just This Week!

I have never, and I mean never, been one to make New Year's goals. Sure, I want to improve. I have things I want to accomplish. And I know it takes little steps to get there--look at my quote on the sidebar if you don't think I already know that. But for some reason I just can't get myself to say "I'm setting a goal."

So instead I put things on my "To Do" list. Sometimes that objective stays on the list for months or even years. Sometimes it disappears without being checked off, but that doesn't mean I've given up or failed, that just means I decided something else was more important to work on that day. A list isn't as final or formal, it's just something I want or need to get done. A goal is...well, not.

I know it's all semantics, but don't tell me that. It's a little mind game I play with myself.

So in case you're wondering, here's a few things on my "To Do" list for 2011:
  • Get Nourish & Strengthen published.
  • Finish writing and editing novel number two and possibly number three.
  • Enjoy my children as they grow into amazing and successful adults (a several-yaer plan).
  • Run another half marathon and improve my time.
Ugh! That sounds too much like writing goals. They're not things I can scratch off in one day. Amazing children? Check. Half marathon--well, someday this year, check, but there's a lot of work I need to do to get there...and what if I get injured or decide I want to take up cycling instead?

Alright, revised "To Do" list for this week:
  • Direct all my friends and family to see my interview with Deirdra Eden Coppel on Jan. 2nd on http://www.astorybookworld.blogspot.com/
  • Email first chapter of Crossing the Wake (my second novel) to my critique group.
  • Write chapter 8 (and maybe more) of the same novel to keep ahead of critique group.
  • Get kids going on another semester of school.
  • Run at least three times this week.
See, now that's so much better. Just a good ol' "To Do" list!