Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Submission: And the Waiting Begins

So I did it! Today I printed out a ream of paper (not blank, don't you worry), packaged it up, stood in line at the post office (no, they didn't ask to see my picture ID) and mailed off two copies of my novel, Nourish & Strengthen, to publishers! What a relief, in a way, to have it off my shoulders and out there for someone else to worry about for a while. Instead I can think about Christmas cards and gift buying and band concerts and school parties and working on the other book I so unceremoniously abandoned over the past month and a half, probably smack in the middle of a conversation I won't even be able to remember between two characters waiting for me to aid them in finishing something very important, I am sure.

Part of me wonders if I should have held onto my manuscript a few weeks longer since most likely no one will even look at it before Christmas and every time I look at it, I can find a few words to tweak here or there. But I have to remind myself that it has been through three major edits, ten readers (thank you, thank you, thank you so much) who talked me into embarking on two more edits. It's time. Time to release it into the sky, hoping it will give someone else the joy that it's given me.

So to you alpha readers of mine that I have never met (thank you, Tom, for arranging them), keep your fingers crossed that your suggestions and guidance steered me in the right direction and maybe someday you'll find a signed copy of Nourish & Strengthen in your mailbox (or even better, see it on a bookstore shelf) and know that you helped it getting it there!

Wish me luck! (And now back to work on book two.)