Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Writing Procrastination

That title could have gone either way: "Writing Procrastination" or "Procrastination Writing." Both would fit. But why? Here's my problem. I am in charge of Young Women's New Beginnings (a meeting at church) tonight. I've worked hard to come up with a theme, put together cute take-home gifts, make assignments to the older girls, and get infomation on new girls to help them feel welcome.

All I need to do today is set up the room, decorate it (ugh) and write my talk (double ugh). I have some ideas on the talk--a couple of disjointed paragraphs--and yet here I sit, writing on a blog. I can't help but think about how much more fun it would be to be working on one of my novels: less pressure, for one. So it's easier to procrastinate writing by writing something else.

My hesitation can't be the fear of people hearing what I have to say, because this blog has the opportunity to reach more people than my talk tonight will, but maybe it's because my talk has the potential to reach people in a much deeper, more important way. I'm going to talk about seeking things that are "virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy" and I like the fact that that is what I'm trying to do in my writing as well. I am seeking, working, sweating, and stressing over writing a book that I hope will indeed be all of those things. But that's exactly what I need to encourage these wonderful, talented young women to do as well--make themselves the best they can be by choosing the best there is out there, and maybe even encourage them create a little of it along the way.

So back to writing--my talk, then my novels!