Thursday, March 31, 2011

Keep the Goal in Mind

Saturday I ran my second ever 10K race. Even though I ran a half marathon in the fall, the 10K was a challenge for me. By the time I've trained for months for the half and then run the race, mentally, I need a break. And then it gets cold. So by the time the weather warms up in the spring and I want to run on a regular basis again, I almost have to start over. I wasn't anywhere near as ready as I would have liked to be, but I made it. Even had enough umph to sprint the last 100 yards or so, and placed third in my division (I must admit it's nice to live in a small town--less competition). Determining success, however, has less to do with comparing myself to someone else, it's reaching my small goals, the stepping stones that will get me to my bigger goal--staying healthy, controlling my diabetes (instead of letting it control me). It's pushing myself to be the best I can be.

Same thing with my writing. Yes, I'm still editing the same novel I've edited several times over the past few years. But every time it's getting better. I'm getting closer to getting it published (I hope), but it's also about honing my craft, improving, shaping the kind of writer I will be. If this novel never gets published, I've got other books in me I want to write. It's not unlike training for that half marathon--it's hard work over a long period of time, but even if I don't do as well as I want to in that particular race, there's always another race to work toward. So I'm near the end of yet another marathon training schedule and it's grueling, but it will be oh so worth it!