Monday, June 13, 2011

Google--My New Best Friend

No offense to my real BFFs, of course, but don't you just love how easy it is to find information on the Internet? No more need for files of junk or stacks of paper. No need to memorize how far the earth is from the sun or when Ohio became a state. Need to know something? Look it up!

And that's what I did when it came to needing recipes last week. We were having a potluck at church, complete with a cookie-baking contest. Not that my baking is by any means exemplary, but I thought it would be fun to try something new. It started with Almond Joy cookies. These were pretty good, but I needed to add a little more coconut and a little less almond (or maybe it was that the almonds were old and tasted funny). I think they could've been quite good, but by the end of the week, I was tired of them and decided to move on.

How about something chocolate? I like mint... These ended up being my kids' favorite and my daughter dubbed them "Maria's Minty Madness." But alas, I cannot take credit just for following a recipe (though they did win Most Original).

But my personal favorite? Cranberry cookies--but I also wanted it with chocolate and oatmeal...is there a recipe for that? Well, yes, there is! Google chocolate chip oatmeal cranberry cookies and you get something fantabulous! The judges thought so too, and I ended up with Most Tempting and Yummiest with that recipe.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. And in case you're wondering, no, I didn't try them with Splenda yet--most people at a potluck wouldn't like them that way--but I'll let you know! Happy baking! And THANK YOU to those who did the real work and shared their tasty recipes with the world!