Monday, July 25, 2011

Reviewed By ME!

Over the next month, I'll be doing several reviews for the LDS market and I am totally looking forward to it! I LOVE reading what's coming out now. When I started writing LDS fiction, I had several people tell me, though somewhat reluctantly, that they don't read LDS fiction because "It's too predictable, formulaic, forced," etc., etc., etc. But I think they might have read some as a teenager and never gone back. There are stacks of good books out there and my hope is to get some of them noticed on my blog.

With so many reviews upcoming, I decided to make some decisions about how I would handle the process--so that I don't get confused and so readers know what to expect from me. My ground rules are as follows:

1. Yes, I do receive free copies (eBook or paperback) of some of the books I have reviewed or will review. Some, like Rebecca Talley's The UpSide of Down, I did on my own because I loved it! However, just because I receive a free copy, doesn't mean it's going to color my opinion. I'll give you the truth.

2. Writing and publishing a book is a phenomenal accomplishment and all authors deserve respect. I probably won't connect completely with each book (we all have our reading preferences), but that doesn't mean someone else won't love it. So I will point out the strengths as I see them. Also, I won't point out every flaw in the novel. I just won't. So just because I don't highlight it in an obnoxious hot-pink color for all the world to see, it doesn't mean I am missing all the typos, point of view shifts, etc. On the other hand, that's not to say I won't point out some :)

3. If I say I loved it, then I really did! And I hope I get the chance to say that about every book I review.

4. I will always post links to purchase the book. After all, if you like my review and want to read the book, isn't it nice to have it at your fingertips?

So--if any of you would like me to review your book for my blog, let me know and I'll fit you into my schedule. Also, I'd love to do author interviews as well, so if you'd like to be interviewed, leave a comment and I'll get back to you!

Happy reading! I know I will be.