Friday, September 9, 2011

"My advice: stop dieting. Start eating. Start eating in a way that helps your body become the healthy, strong body that you want." --Jen Brewer

When I was first approached about reviewing a nonfiction book, I turned it down flat. Nonfiction? Boring. Diet book? Even worse. Even though I suppose I need it (I'm in the denial stage, don't mock me) I just don't read diet books. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it. But then I started to think about it. I hate the fact that there are so many diet books out there that just don't seem to be possible for a type 1 diabetic, and I admit, I kinda wanted this to be one of them so I could justify my weaknesses by pointing a finger and saying, "That doesn't work for everyone. It can't work for a type 1 diabetic."

Well, guess what? I was wrong. Jen Brewer's book All Diets Work: That's the Problem can work. For anyone. Even me. There were no bells and whistles, no easy fixes, not really even new information. In fact, the science is tried and true; this could be a health class textbook. It's more of a reference book than a new diet, as the author herself points out.

Though I didn't necessarily learn anything new, there were, however, a few tips I am looking forward to trying out--today: like the way to overcome sweet cravings (I won't tell you the secret, you'll have to read the book to find out what it is) and The Apple Test.  If you'd like to find out what these are for yourself, you can purchase your copy here. Also, I suggest checking out the author's website for even more tips, recipes, and encouragement. And I hope this book gives you just the right kick in the pants to get going to a better you--just like it's done for me.