Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Teamwork


I spent all morning yesterday on the phone setting up appointments, canceling appointments, being shuffled from office to office. I’m embarrassed to admit it included a few tears and a little frustration, some misunderstanding and a well-timed fax offering the elusive solution. And I realized that finding the right endocrinology team is akin to finding the right critique group, or music instructors, or personal trainers, or whatever you want to do the very best at.

I’m one of those people who prides myself in doing things on my own. In fact, I spent last week refinishing my kitchen cabinets. Sure, new ones would probably look better, but I enjoyed the work as well as the results. Same thing with the diabetes. I’d love to be able to control my kids’ diabetes myself; I’ve been able to refine my own basal rates pretty well. But for some reason, the kids always baffle me. Probably because those teenage hormones come around and mess everything up and what was working a month ago no longer applies. Enter the endocrinologist and his team. Of course, they are more experienced. They’ve gone to school for it. They have oodles of experience. And they’re not as close to the situation as I am and can see things I’ve overlooked. And I want the very best care for my children.

Same thing with a critique group. I write the best I can. I edit, looking for adverbs, passive voice, and other gremlins in my writing. Then I hand my manuscript off to my critique group and they find plot holes, pet words, and grammar issues. Just like with the doctors’ offices, critique partners can bring me to tears (okay, so that hasn’t happened yet, but there’s always a bit of trepidation opening that file when it gets returned) but more than that, they’re my greatest cheerleaders. Maybe I don’t follow their advice perfectly all the time, but they’re there to congratulate my accomplishments and encourage me to continue improving. They see what I don’t.

So my thanks to my diabetes team, my critique group, my Young Women’s counselors and advisors, my husband and kids, and all the other groups who offer advice. I couldn’t do it without you!