Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Interview with RaShelle Workman, Author of Exiled



Maria: Hi, RaShelle, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to appear on my blog. Congrats on your new book.

RaShelle:  Thanks, Maria. Right backatcha. I’m glad to be here.

Maria: So tell me a little about the process you went through to publish.

RaShelle: Getting EXILED out for everyone’s reading pleasure *giggles* took lots and lots of editing. Rewriting. Praying. And finding the right people to release with – Christine Bryant and Ali Cross.

Maria: That sure sounds like a lot of work!

RaShelle: It was, but it’s been awesome. I’ve received emails from fans requesting copies of my book from Malaysia to Japan to Canada to Africa! - which is totally cool and makes writing all the more fun for me. 

Maria: You have such a beautiful cover for Exiled, and it’s even won some acclaim. Would you like to tell us about it? Who designed it and how?

RaShelle: EXILED has won a Cover War or two. It’s been fun.
As for how the cover came into being, I wanted something special, but I wasn’t sure what until I saw it. When I found the picture of the girl with butterflies in her hair, I KNEW that was it.  Then I submitted the pic to the genius, Steven Novak, and he ran with it.

Maria: Why butterflies? Does it represent something particular? 

RaShelle: The butterflies represent Venus and her peoples’ metamorphosis. At the age of sixteen, they transform into immortals, just as a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly.  The butterflies on the cover are “captured” in worlds, which represents her exile, or being trapped on Earth.

Maria: Tell us a little more about your book.

RaShelle: Quite simply, it’s about an alien princess (Venus) born to lead and the arrogant boy (Michael) born to love her.
Now does it work out that way… well, you’ll have to read it to find out. LOL

Maria: The premise sounds quite interesting. Where did you get the inspiration for it?

RaShelle: I LOVE romance – first and foremost. And I’ve always believed we aren’t alone in the Universe. I’ve also always believed that there would be “others” (aliens) who would look like us (cuz, why not). So I had this idea for several years about a guy from another planet who is sent to Earth to destroy the inhabitants so that his people could take over. Over the years it developed into EXILED (book 1), BEGUILED (book 2) and DOVETAILED (book 3).

Maria: I especially love the boots!

RaShelle: So do I. I really want a pair. I dreamed the boots! And know someone who knows someone who may be able to make the boots happen. If it does, I’ll let you know.

Maria: Ooh! Please do! One of my favorite things to find out about authors is…what their writing process is and if they have a particular quirk. What do you do when you’re writing? Do you munch on M&Ms, have a glass of Gatorade on hand, keep your puppy asleep on your toes, listen to rap?

RaShelle: I am a big-time planner. So once the planning is done, I just sit down and type and type and type.

Maria: You sound very dedicated. Is there anything else you’d like to tell our readers?

RaShelle:  Mmmm, I hope they enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing. I hope it makes them happy and think and ponder and… have a blast!

Maria: Good luck! It’s a great book and I know anyone who reads it will enjoy it immensely.

RaShelle:  Awwww, thanks Maria.

If I've piqued your interest, here are some links to get you a closer look:

And if that wasn't enough to get you interested, try watching the trailer: