Saturday, December 24, 2011

Writing a Silent Night

The last few days I've been wondering what non-LDS people think when they read Nourish & Strengthen. The main character, Chloe, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and believes Jesus Christ to be her Savior and Redeemer. In fact, this is so much a part of her, it never is a question in the book. She has many struggles, but never that. Her questions of faith have more to do with trying to measure up, to be good enough to qualify for God's grace--which we all know we can never earn. She toils to overcome the temptation to judge. She works to show charity, the pure love of Christ, to herself and others in her life. Through it all, she remains firm in her conviction that Jesus Christ is the One who makes it possible for her to repent and improve.

The thing is, I didn't want my novel to be preachy. If I remember correctly, I don't quote scripture...at least not in an "a-ha" moment or turning point for her...and I wonder if my friends from other Christian religions might find that as a fault. I wonder if they wonder how I, as the author, feel about God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.

At this most holy of days, I ponder on the miracle of the Savior's birth. I picture what it might have been like to be there, but more than that, tears come to my eyes as I think about the love that He has for me and for all mankind. I am grateful for the gift of the Savior and wish all of us peace at this time of year as we come a little closer to God through His Son.

I wish all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!