Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: "Out of My Mind" by Sharon M. Draper

The book sat on my coffee table along with a few others due back at the library. I don't usually read everything my children do--honestly, I don't have the time. They read so many books. (A nice quandary to be in.) But I had to read this one. Both of my high school children had recommended it and the cover was intriguing, so I cracked it open to the first chapter. I was hooked. The words slipped around me like poetry. I'd have to put this first chapter on my top five list of all time.

As a writer of women's fiction, I don't often read middle grade fiction, but this book has changed my life. Or I hope it has. My family's experience with type 1 diabetes has taught me about being physically different than other people. There are few limitations but many misconceptions about living with the disease, and I felt I could empathize, if only slightly. Melody's story opened my eyes, my heart, and gotten me thinking. I will be forever grateful I read this book.

And in case you'd like to check it out, here's a link to the author's blog and official website. And here's a link to my son's review...the one who said I had to read it.

Have you read this book? Let me know what you thought.