Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: Jaclyn M. Hawkes' The Most Important Catch

Recently I had the chance to read Jaclyn M. Hawkes' latest novel, a romance titled The Most Important Catch.


From the back of the book:
She knew too much, and she’d seen too much. And the police refused to help. Knowing that she was to be the next scheduled death, Kelly Campbell hid under head to toe black leather and a tinted motorcycle helmet and ran for her life.
 
When the weather turned cold, she turned south. She ended up in North Carolina, home to one of the most famed and eligible NFL football stars in the whole league; only she didn’t know that. She thought he was a businessman. Not being a huge fan, all she knew was that he was incredibly attractive, kind, generous, and that she was safe with him. Or was she?

His brand of fame proved to be all but deadly, but his fame wasn't nearly as lethal as his attraction. He kept her safe and protected. All except her heart.

My thoughts:


This wasn't the first book of Jaclyn's that I've read. I reviewed her historical romance, Journey of Honor, here on my blog more than a year ago and you'll be able to tell from reading that review that I enjoyed the story. Since then, however, I think Jaclyn's writing has improved, and I enjoyed this book even more.

Again Jaclyn was able to craft interesting characters and an intriguing situation, but the best part for me this time was the setting. I loved the idyllic, country life that Kelly found herself sequestered in and wished for just such a quiet spot for myself. (Maybe I'd get more writing done!!) But alas, at the moment, my life is a bit busier than hers and instead, found myself reading late into the night (or early into the morning) because I wanted to stay submerged in the North Carolina woods.

Overall, it was a great story. At times, I wondered how Kelly could have been so blind to some things which should have been obvious to her (I won't say what because I don't want to spoil the story), especially since the premise was based on her meticulous observation skills; however, it was plausible enough for me to continue (willing suspension of disbelief). It's a squeaky clean romance and a great way to escape life and spend a couple of days' reading.

If you'd like to purchase your own copy, you can find it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the Book Depository.

About the Author: 
Jaclyn M. Hawkes grew up in Utah with 6 sisters, 4 brothers and any number of pets.  (It was never boring!)  She received a Bachelor’s degree, had a career, and traveled extensively before settling down to her life’s work of being the mother of four magnificent and sometimes challenging children.  She loves shellfish, the outdoors, the youth, and hearing her children laugh.  She and her fine husband, their family, and their sometimes very large pets, now live in a mountain valley in northern Utah, where it smells like heaven and kids still move sprinkler pipe.


Getting a hold of Jaclyn is fairly easy! You can check out her blog, follow her on Twitter @JaclynMHawkes, or like her Facebook page to get to know more about her.