Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Interview with Tamara Hart Heiner and An Inevitable Review

Description:

Visions of death plague Jayne, who thinks watching her boyfriend die is the worst that could happen to her. But when she witnesses a murder, Jayne finds herself caught up in a dangerous world of intrigue and suspense.   As it turns out, she is not the only one doing the stalking. The killer is on to her, and all of her visions of the dying don't reveal how her life will end. Somehow, she must stop the murderer before he arranges Jayne's own inevitable death.

My Thoughts:

I LOVED this book! Typically, I'm not much of a YA reader, but the concept of this novel is so intriguing, it sucked me right in. Sometimes there are books, movies, TV series that have great promise but then fail to deliver; Inevitable is not one of them.

Tamara Hart Heiner does an amazing job keeping the interest right through the final paragraph. I was thrilled at the ending--it is an intriguing synthesis of old and new (yep, I'm going to be vague--I don't want to ruin it for you). Logically, things makes sense and it is well written. I recommend this book to anyone--it is clean and interesting. And the cover is gorgeous, don't you think?


Interview with the Author: Tamara Hart Heiner


How long have you been writing?
I've been writing off and on since I was twelve. The first book I ever wrote was published about fifteen years after I wrote the first draft--Perilous, WiDo Publishing 2010

You have two other books out, right? And another under contract? Would you like to tell us a little about them? Perilous and Altercation are both young adult suspense novels, published by WiDo Publishing. I wrote Perilous when I was a teen and Altercation after Perilous got a publishing contract. I just signed a contract with Dancing Lemur Press for my non-fiction book about the Joplin tornado, set to come out in April of 2014, on the third anniversary! I am super excited about it!

So about Inevitable, it's such an interesting idea--where did the genesis for the story come from?
I have about thirty ideas that have come to me at random times, such as when I'm driving. I usually get the smallest snippet of a story idea--a sentence or something. It's up to me to brainstorm the rest of the book!

Did you always know the ending?
Before I ever start writing, I sit down and make an outline that includes the ending of the book. But INEVITABLE didn't feel right to me after I finished it. I was trying to write a romance, and it fell short for me. So I added an element of suspense. There were still too many "why's." So, I tapped into Latvian mythology and changed my story. I love the layers and depth that were added to what started out as a simple romance.

How is Inevitable different from your other YA books?
My other YA books are contemporary. They are suspense, thrillers, and rather dark. INEVITABLE, though it has suspense and deals with a serial killer, has a much lighter tone. Not too mention it has an element of paranormal fantasy woven through it!

What helps you most in your writing? What inspires you?
Critique groups and writing conferences really help me keep going. I feel like a rechargeable battery, and just when I reach that critical point, I make it to a conference. Then BAM, I'm ready to go again!

Do you have a favorite writing chair, food, or music?
My favorite spot to write is in the corner of the couch, propped up by pillows with my legs extended out in front of me. Ah. So cozy.

You have little ones at home during the day--does that make it difficult for you to find time to write?
Oh yes! I've realized that being a mom comes first right now, and I give myself about 30 min. a day to write. If I try to write or even get on the computer when they are awake, I get frustrated every time they make noise and need me. But that's why I'm a mom, right? To care for them? There will come a time when I can devote myself entirely to writing. But it's not right now.

What are some of your favorite activities when you're not writing?
Cooking, especially baking. I run an in-home bakery, making 3-4 pies a week. Just enough to relieve tension. :) I also love reading, and enjoy a good Zumba class.

Anything specifically you want to say about this book?
This book was an experiment to me. I had always heard that it's easier to write what inspires you, but I know that full-time authors don't have that luxury. They write on a deadline and have to have a book every few months. So I wondered if I could do that, write a topic simply because it was on the agenda. I let my blog readers choose my next book and gave myself three months to write it. Yes, I struggled a bit, and yes, many times I thought it was so boring. But I did it, and I'm very pleased with the result.

Thanks, Tamara! It was fun getting to know you a little :) Best of luck on your book!

If you'd like to purchase Tamara's book, Inevitable, you can find it at Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords. You can connect with her on her website and blog.