Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: A Way Back to You by Emily Gray Clawson

I've been looking forward to reading Emily Gray Clawson's novel, A Way Back to You, ever since I heard about it. Honestly, the thing that intrigued me the most was the cover. Yeah, I'm that person, judging a book by its cover; don't judge me. No, not really, but certainly it drew my attention. Call me clockpunk, but anything with an (old-fashioned) clock with arms, and I'm there.

Close second, though, was the fact that A Way Back to You is an LDS book that is not fantasy, romance, or suspense, and is written for an adult audience--well, mostly.

So while I was at the LDStorymakers writing conference a week or two back, I scooped up a copy and got Emily to sign it in person. Yes! And then, when I got back home and should have been slogging through my emails or posting about the conference, I couldn't make myself work. Had. To. Read.

The book did not disappoint. It is a nice combination of YA and adult, which will make for an even wider audience. It speaks of finding that balance between selfishness and finding time to refuel self in order to be whole enough to help others. It is about finding joy in the journey, appreciating what we have, and not being afraid to pursue our dreams. A Freaky Friday-ish romance with a magical time-turning twist that made for an enjoyable quick read.

If you'd like to read Emily Gray Clawson's novel, A Way Back to You, you can find it at Deseret Book and on Amazon. If you'd like to find out more about the author, you can check out her blog here.

The ever-amazing blog I Am a Reader, Not a Writer is running a giveaway during the blog tour for A Way Back to You. Take a chance and enter here: a Rafflecopter giveaway