Friday, August 2, 2013

Interview with Vickie Hall, Author of Rising Sun, Falling Star

Vickie, thanks for being on my blog today!

Tell us a little about yourself: besides writing, what kinds of things do you like to do?
I love to go shopping! I’m addicted to clothes and shoes. I enjoy traveling, especially cruising, and also like sightseeing trips to historical places. I love to read (when I have the time), needlework, and camping.
     Now about the writing. How long have you been writing?
I guess you could say, "When haven’t you been writing?" I’ve loved crafting stories since I was little. It just kept growing until it became a passion.
      Your new book, Rising Sun, Falling Star, has an interesting premise. Could you tell us about it?
This book entails a little-known area of American history. Not much has been written about it, most books are from a strictly non-fiction historical perspective, and I felt there needed to be a fictional account that would help bring this page from history to life. I can’t remember even learning about this in high school, although that was back in the dark ages. I just think the tragedy of the holocaust has overshadowed this important piece to World War II.
     Where did you get the idea for the book and how did you do your research?

I remembered my mom’s hair dresser was a young girl in the camps. I used to go with my mom and sit nearby while this woman told small bits about her experiences. I guess it planted a seed, because when I decided to write about this I spent over a year researching. I read a great deal of history on Japan and the war itself, about Japanese culture, personal accounts of the internment, and even the accounts of some of the administration who ran the camps.
     What was the most interesting thing you discovered when researching this book?
One of the most intriguing things I found was that there was so little about this chapter in our country’s history out there. One of the main reasons for that was the reluctance of the internees to discuss this with outsiders. Some of the younger people never told their children about the camps. By the third generation, it was unknown to them. In fact, even those who lived in the camps never discussed it among themselves. It was ingrained within the Japanese culture to move forward, not linger in a past that could not be changed. One of the main character’s abilities to cope with this tragedy is summed up very nicely:  She often says, “Shikata ga nai,” meaning "It cannot be helped."
     Which character intrigued you most?
I think the mother of the family – Aiko. She tasks herself with trying to hold her family together while each one of them faces their own sort of hell. She continually puts them before all else, attempting to hold them together long enough to survive the camp.
Since my blog also has to do with running, what is your favorite form of exercise?
I enjoy riding my incumbent bike. I ride every day. I also work with weights and resistance bands. I can’t run due to a severe ankle injury that required rods and pins to hold things together.
     This isn't your first novel. Can you give us a title and short phrase about each of your other books?
All That Was Promised – about a Welsh family who joins the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1847.
Journey of Promise – about this same family and their immigration to America.
Secrets of the Red Box – about a woman who harbors destructive secrets with the potential to destroy lives, including her own.

     Do you have a daily writing routine or special place you like to write?
I write 6 out of 7 days, and try to write four to five hours each evening after a full time job. I sit in my recliner with a laptop so I’m especially comfy!
     What are some of the books you’ve read and enjoyed recently?
I recently finished Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult, and Night Road by Kristin Hannah.
Any last words?
Thank you so much for this opportunity! It’s been a pleasure to share my thoughts and my book with you!

I hope all of you enjoyed getting to know author Vickie Hall a little better. If you'd like to learn more about her, you can connect with her on her website, her blog, or her Facebook page. If you'd like to buy her book, here's the link to Rising Sun, Falling Star on Amazon.

Don't forget to enter to win!!


a Rafflecopter giveaway