Thursday, November 7, 2013

Book Review: 52 Life-Changing Questions from the Book of Mormon

The book description poses this inquiry: Can a question change your life?

If we think about it, we all know the answer is a resounding yes.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we know something else--that the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ is the word of God. I, personally, believe that. Every time I reread the book, I am reminded and taught about things that bring me more happiness in my life and feeling closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. The Holy Ghost witnesses this to me.

I gain power every day when I take the time to read and study the scriptures, but sometimes I find I need a little more focus in my scripture study--more than just reading linearly through the sacred tomes. I've tried reading by topic and looking for answers to specific questions, but lately as I began reading The Book of Mormon again, I found myself looking for something more. I decided it didn't hurt to see if this book, 52 Life-Changing Questions from the Book of Mormon, could help me find this focus--and so far, it has.

I love the idea of there being fifty-two questions--one for each week in a year. I thought at first it would be good to read it that way and use the entire week to focus on one particular question. Obviously, it's helpful to ponder longer than a few minutes on one particular subject, and a week would give me time to look for that particular thing in my life. The only problem with that plan is that after I read the first chapter, I wanted to just keep going. I did, however, find it refreshing to limit the reading so I could really focus on the one question, and look for the answers in my life over the next seven days.

Of the parts I've read so far, I really appreciate 52 Questions. Sometimes I have trouble likening the scriptures to me and what's going on in my modern life. I find myself thinking about what the people in the stories must have been going through and how they must have felt, but I picture it there, in the past, the way they experienced it. Not every time, of course. So it was nice to get someone else's insights and ideas of how the gospel can influence our lives, if we allow it. I like how the authors mention Facebook and modern missionaries, stake conferences and higher education--all things I can relate to right now, in this stage of my life.

52 Life-Changing Questions from the Book of Mormon  will give you a year's worth of focused guidance--principles to ponder and insights to glean. I've found it to be a wonderful companion book that I enjoying reading in conjunction with my daily scripture study. And maybe it'll inspire me enough to come up with a few life-changing questions of my own.

About the Authors:

Brad Wilcox is an associate professor in the department of Teacher Education at Brigham Young University, where he also works with programs such as Especially for Youth and Campus Education Week. As a young man, he served his mission in Chile, and he was later called back to that country to preside over the Chile Santiago East Mission from 2003 to 2006. He currently serves as a member of the Sunday School general board.

 Brad is the author of the bestselling book The Continuous Atonement and the BYU devotional “His Grace Is Sufficient.” He and his wife, Debi, are the parents of four children and grandparents of three.


John Hilton III was born in San Francisco and grew up in Seattle. He served a mission in Denver, and got a Bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University. Along the way he met his wife Lani and they have five children. They have lived in Boise, Boston, Mexico and Miami. Currently, they live in Utah. John has a Masters degree from Harvard and a Ph.D from BYU, both in Education, and currently is an Assistant Professor of Ancient Scripture at BYU. He has also written several books with Deseret Book. Besides being with his family, his favorite hobbies are learning Chinese and doing humanitarian work.

You can find 52 Life-Changing Questions from the Book of Mormon at Deseret Book Stores and Amazon as well as other stores that sell LDS books and is available in hardback and digital versions.