Friday, November 22, 2013

Enchanted by Jaclyn Hawke's Third Novel in the Rockland Series

I must admit that occasionally I like a clean, easy romance, and if it's in an LDS setting, I like it that much more. While it's not the genre I read all the time, when I was looking to relax a couple of days ago, that's exactly what I wanted, and this book sure hit the spot.

Once Enchanted is the third book in the Rockland Ranch series, but by the time I started this book, I had completely forgotten that fact. I haven't read the first two books, but never once did I feel I was missing something. I can imagine that knowing the background on some of the other couples might enhance the story, but it was complete in its own right--something I value tremendously in a book (and don't always get when it's part of a series).

I loved the beginning of this book. The conversations between Sean and Lexie were, right from the start, intriguing, and I loved the chemistry between them. I also liked how Sean explained why he didn't tell Lexie something he should have--it made sense to me. The setting at the ranch near Jackson Hole is beautiful, and I can imagine the main character couldn't help but fall in love with the place, the family, and the hero. While of course there are a few little things I  might have written differently, Once Enchanted is a great escapist read and I enjoyed staying up late wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with my hot chocolate to finish it. Try it--you might like it--and as I did, find a new series to read.

You can read the first chapter or learn about the author, Jaclyn Hawkes, on her blog. Once Enchanted can be found on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.