Tuesday, December 10, 2013

CD Review: Home for the Holidays

If you like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square, you will love this CD! As expected, it is flawless, perfected only by the addition of Tony award-winning Alfie Boe as the featured soloist. How I would have loved to have been in the audience that night! As I can't go back in time and experience the concert live, the DVD is a completely acceptable alternative. It includes features not available on the CD like the reading of the Christmas story by Tom Brockaw.

With Alfie Boe's soothing, reverent tenor, my favorite track has to be "I Wonder as I Wander," but you could never go wrong with "Bring Him Home." It's the song he's best known for, I realize, and probably the reason he sang it for this concert, however, its inclusion on this album got me thinking about its application as a Christmas song--an aspect of the album I fiercely appreciate.

As an oboe player myself, I absolutely adore "A Christmas Waltz Fantasy." I love listening to the intricacies of the music and the talent of the musicians. Beyond that, the fun medley of songs catapulted me into the Christmas spirit when I just wasn't quite feeling it.

Kudos to all who took part in producing this CD and DVD--and there were obviously hundreds. May God bless you for helping bring the Christmas spirit into our homes, cars, and businesses. Everyone within listening distance will feel the Spirit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this Christmas season.

If you are interested in listening to clips of the music or purchasing your own copy of the DVD or CD, you can find it at any Deseret Book Store or online.