Sunday, December 1, 2013

My NaNo "Win"!

This is going to be super short because I'm exhausted and don't think I could write another word--especially one good enough to be read by people. BUT I'm so happy, I've just got to share!

As many of you know, November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. NaNo for even shorter. To be able to participate in NaNo, you can't have started your book at all before Nov. 1. You can outline and plan, but no chapter one.

It seems every year when November rolls around, I'm not at a point where I can do the official NaNo because I'm always already in the middle of writing something, and I'm just not one to cheat on my current WIP to start a relationship with a new book. It's hard enough keeping track of plot lines and details in the one I'm working on.

So the last few times, I've made my own version of NaNo. This time I started with a very detailed outline for my third book and over 37K words. I figured I needed about 80K to finish my first draft--so that was my goal.

Tonight, less than two hours before the end of NaNo, I officially finished the first draft I've been working on for months. And in four short weeks, I about doubled my word count. For me, that's amazing! So even though it wasn't 50K--I finished my novel in a month.

I know there are still holes. I know much of the writing is weak. But now I have the opportunity to edit: to fill in, sharpen, and shine. And I'm looking forward to every second.

After a nice, long sleep! Welcome, December :)