Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat?

I'm going to say it right off the bat--if you are an LDS woman, you NEED to read Michelle Wilson's new book, Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat? It's nonfiction, hilarious, and uplifting. It's a must! And if you're an LDS man, you need to make sure your mother, sister, wife--nope, you know what?--it wouldn't hurt you to read it, either.

It's a fact: Sometimes we, as humans, tend to be hard on ourselves. We expect more of ourselves, frankly, than we expect of anyone else. Sure, in a way, that's helpful. It drives us to succeed. It helps us understand each other, and it's great that we give each other the benefit of the doubt--but sometimes we need to remember to extend that same grace to ourselves as well.

Reading Michelle Wilson's book gave me the permission to give myself a break. Of course I already knew that somewhere deep inside, but being reminded of it in such a fun way, certainly didn't hurt. In her book, Michelle teaches us how to see ourselves through our Father in Heaven's eyes. It's the principle I was trying to get across in my first novel, Nourish & Strengthen, with a character so worried about her own self-image that it taints the way she sees others as well. If only she'd read and reread Wilson's book until she believed it.

When I was in college, I used to mark up every book I read as a way to go back and find the parts I didn't ever want to forget. Over the past few years, I've gotten out of that habit, but I found myself marking up my copy of Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat? I can tell this will be a cherished book for years to come. As I read, thoughts occurred to me--ways to put it to use in Relief Society and Young Women's lessons. And even though I was in the middle of reading it, I was thrilled when my seventeen-year-old daughter borrowed--more like took off with--the book. I couldn't think of a better book for her to be reading right now alongside her scriptures.

Although the book reiterates that it's what is inside that counts, how could you go wrong with a title that makes you laugh and the gorgeous cover that accompanies it? Give yourself a treat--and I don't mean one you'll feel guilty about in an hour. Buy, read, and live by this book! Every page is a pep talk and a profound way to start the day: reminding yourself of your innate worth.

If you'd like to purchase a copy of your own, you can find it at Deseret Book, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, to name a few. If you're like me and feel like you could be friends with such an amazing person, get to know Michelle Wilson on her website, Facebook, or add Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat? to your Goodreads shelf.