Friday, March 14, 2014

Review: Jennifer Ann Holt's Discovering Peace


Another great book by Jennifer Ann Holt! Ever wonder what happens to Olivia and Allison after Hope's adoption? Discovering Peace continues the beautiful story . . .

This month I was privileged to read Jennifer Ann Holt's sequel to Delivering Hope (which, incidentally, is on sale this month for only 99 cents). About the LDS novel, Delivering Hope: "Olivia Spencer wants to be a mother more than anything else, but years of infertility have left her soul wounded and her marriage strained. Allison Campbell is a young, single woman who discovers that a moment of excitement has led to an unplanned pregnancy and overwhelming heartache. Deep love paves the way for sacrifice as the lives of these two women touch."

Delivering Hope was first written as a stand-alone novel, and one I really enjoyed, so I was pretty excited when I was contacted to review Discovering Peace. While I enjoyed Delivering Hope and could relate to some of Olivia's feelings, I really enjoyed the further character development in Discovering Peace. There are many books out there that show the tender feelings of one who wants nothing more than to be a parent, especially when their friends, family, and fellow church members seem to have no trouble getting pregnant. What I liked about Discovering Peace was the follow-up: How Olivia feels when she finally was able to hold, care for, and mother her new baby girl. But even more importantly, how Allison struggles through her feelings after the adoption. Discovering Peace is a hopeful, tender read of forgiveness and fulfillment, patience and peace. I highly recommend it! Although it would probably be better if you read Delivering Hope first, each book can be read alone.

Here's the summary:
"Placing her baby girl for adoption isn't the mistake Ally is running away from, but everyone else seems to think it is. As Ally tries to move forward in her life, her past keeps pulling her back, and she wonders if she will ever find true love again. Only holding onto hope can help Ally find the peace she s seeking."
About the Author, Jennifer Ann Holt:
"My name is Jennifer Ann Holt. I grew up as a farm girl in Enterprise, Utah, so I have lots of experience moving sprinkler pipe and mucking out calf pens. I can hold my own when handling a tractor as well. I have always loved reading and really like the power of the written word to heal, bring people together, provide comfort and understanding, and uplift. 
"I graduated Cum Laude from Brigham Young University in December 1998 with a degree in Physical Education / Physical Therapy Emphasis. In March of 1999 I married my wonderful husband and we started our life together." 
In my communication with the author, I asked her to come up with a top ten list. I like how it coordinates with the theme of the book. What are your favorite places to think?

My Top Ten Favorite Places to Think (Order varies depending on my mood!)  (:

10. LDS temples / temple grounds. Always peaceful and quiet.  
 9.  Being away from the city on a moonless night looking up at what seems like millions of stars.
 8.  Soaking in a hot bath.
 7.  Walking my dog.  Doesn't really matter where, as long as it's fairly quiet.
 6.  At the lake with my family.  Lying on the sundeck of the boat listening to the water always clears my head.
 5.  Riding the wake board behind the boat.  (:  Something about the rush of the wind in my face.
 4.  Driving.  I don't mind a long drive in the car.  Lots of good thinking time.
 3.  Lying on the trampoline on a nice summer day looking up at the clouds.
 2.  The beach.  Listening to the waves crashing in.  Wish I got here more often!!
 1.  The mountains.  Growing up, the mountains were only a short four-wheeler ride away.  I could go there any time!