Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Review: Sweet Confections by Danyelle Ferguson

I had the opportunity to preview another really great clean romance! This one definitely deserves a high five!

Summary:
According to Rachel Marconi chocolate heals all wounds. That and throwing darts at pictures of her ex-boyfriend. Burned by yet another bad relationship, Rachel decides to reprioritize her life, putting her dream to compete on a Food Network Challenge on the top of her list and dating at the bottom crossed out in red sharpie. But what’s a girl to do when a certain sexy guy keeps asking her out?  
Cue in Graydon Green, a former pro hockey player turned restaurant owner. After a lot of persistent and humorous teasing, he finally convinces Rachel to commit to a date. Just when things begin to warm up, threatening notes directed at Rachel arrive. When her bakery is vandalized, Graydon’s protective streak goes on red alert. Is it her obsessive ex-boyfriend stalking her? Or maybe a challenger trying to sabotage the competition? 
Either way, Rachel is definitely going to need more chocolate – perhaps drizzled over ice cream and devil’s food cake.

My High Five:

5. It's a clean romance with only a couple of minor swear words, yet it has the right amount of heart-melting, root-for-them moments.

4. Food Network references.

3. The chocolate lava tradition: a fun detail about the girls' tradition made even better with the husband's support. And Danyelle included the recipe--one I'm looking forward to trying out.

2. My favorite scene: Ice skating. (Probably all the more poignant because of my own history--see my bio and you'll understand.)

1. The redhead main character: spunky, feisty, funny, sweet, pretty, and real (including curves!). I hope to read more with this character and her hunk-able love interest.

Okay, that was my High Five . . . now for the author's.
I asked Danyelle for her High Five of favorite treats she likes to bake. These are her answers . . . 

Danyelle's High Five

5. Yes, I know my main character is an amazing dessert-baking queen, but honestly, I just wish I had her talents in the kitchen. I don't like cooking and I only bake on special occasions which are . . .

4. Pecan Pie on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It just wouldn't be right to celebrate without Pecan Pie!

3. What about the other holiday pies, you ask? I *heart* Marie Calendar.

2. Homemade Cheesecake. It's my hubby's all time favorite dessert that I make for Easter and whenever he does something amazing that needs to be celebrated. I'm not gonna lie - it's pretty dang awesome.

1. Chocolate Lava Sundaes, which are featured in Sweet Confections. This one I actually created, all on my own. Then tested it several times with my writing group. Yummilicious.

And that, my friends, is the extent of my baking repertoire!

Thanks, Danyelle! I'm with you on the Marie Calendar. Razzleberry pie! Yum! Anyway, you're distracting me. I was saying . . .

I love Danyelle's writing style and I am absolutely looking forward to reading more in the series (and I'm intrigued to find out how it connects with Heather Tullis's--I bet it's going to be amazing!). This is a great book to relax and escape with. You can add it to your Goodreads shelf here, or find it for purchase at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. You can connect with Danyelle on her website--oh, yeah, and currently she is running a giveaway you don't want to miss! Head on over there for your chances to enter!