Monday, May 12, 2014

Review: Discover America Illustrated by Julie Olson

Discover America: From Sea to Shining Sea
Illustrations by Julie Olson
Lyrics by Katharine Lee Bates

This is the most adorable book! Although my children are all currently teenagers, I am excited to have this book in my library. As I read it and savored each of the gorgeous illustrations, I couldn't help remembering some of my own experiences visiting a few of these same places--some of America's greatest treasures. (And thanks to this book, I've added a couple more to my bucket list.) I remembered reading to my children when they were young and would have loved discovering America with them through this book. And someday I will share it with grandchildren. The book itself is gorgeous, and a fun, simple idea. It reminds me of how much I love this country and all its beauty.

What a great idea to have a website that goes along with it, providing all the "behind the scenes" information that's so fun to know. I loved reading about the genesis of the story and watching the video of the artist at work. There's even an interactive map to track an email "balloon" which should be entertaining and educational for young readers, and there are quizzes and information about the book and the sites as well.

Overall, I couldn't be more impressed this book! You can purchase a copy of your own at Deseret Book, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble. And don't forget to add it to your Goodreads shelf.