Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review of The Fortune Cafe

I've got to say, this idea was genius!! I loved it. The book came recommended by my new friend, Kathy from I Am a Reader while I was at the very awesome Indie Author Hub writing and publishing conference on June 7 (check out their blog here if you'd like to learn more). Anyway, I was looking at the plethora of fabulous books in the bookstore that day and knew I needed something to read on my way home a state away.

The Fortune Cafe is an interesting concept--three novellas in one book. Characters from each story overlap just a tiny bit, where a minor character in one story becomes the main character in the next. And each of the stories had the restaurant in common at one point in the story--The Fortune Cafe. Each story was written by a different, experienced author--Julie Wright, Melanie Jacobson, and Heather B. Moore.

It was a fun little romance and I enjoyed each story, especially the first and the last. In trying to stay true to my "Good & Clean Reads" theme, I must admit there were a couple of swear words in the second that, honestly, felt out of place--like they were added to the story just so that the LDS publisher wouldn't want to publish the story--and a lot of "fun" around displaying one particular finger. I admit, it tainted it for me. It was an okay story, but I didn't see any reason to have those things in it. However, the other two stories made it worth it to me, so despite any creative differences I may have the author of the second story, I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

Apparently this book will not be the only one like it. An entire series it planned around the tourist street where this fictional cafe is situated. Like I said--genius. I so wish I had thought of it. Until then, I'll just have to recommend this book to anyone who wants to listen and bide my time until the next book in the Tangerine Street Romance series is released.

For once, I was NOT given a copy for review. I actually bought this one. And it was worth it.