Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review: How Do I Know If I Know? By John Bytheway

I'm not sure anyone could ever give a John Bytheway book a bad review. EVER. Of course I'd heard great things about him--who hasn't, right? And then I sent my son to EFY at BYU this summer (which would be a whole nother ten-star review on a scale of one to five, but that needs to be a different post) and heard amazing things about Brother Bytheway, coming from someone not at all inclined to exaggeration. Then I went to Education Week at BYU and heard him speak in person. The clincher, for sure.

But when I had the chance to read one of his books, I wanted to know how his words stacked up. Could I feel the Spirit as much from the book as listening to him in person? The answer is Yes!

My Review

How Do I Know If I Know? is an amazing book. Geared primarily toward the youth, yet it is the perfect book for anyone who is questioning a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ who has a strong, sincere desire to know. As I read, I started taking notes so I could remember the parts that affected me the most. Because I was doing this quite frequently, I switched to flagging pages instead, but then quickly ended up highlighting and making notes in the margin. I haven't done that since college, I don't think. The book is that good!

I loved the comparison of a testimony to turning on the light--whether at sunrise or in a darkened room. I loved the humor and the fun facts and the peaceful Spirit testifying of truth as I read. Anyone who has teenagers (sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters) or works with the youth needs to read this book. It is perfect for anyone preparing to serve a mission--for yourself and those you will teach. I wish I could quote something to prove my point, but I'd end up quoting the whole book. Still, if you are wondering if your testimony about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is real, or if someone you know is wavering, you can't go wrong with reading How Do I Know If I Know? Most likely you will feel strength, you will feel determination, but more than that, you will feel peace. The Spirit will testify as you recognize the light around you.

Book Description:

It's spiritual gut-check time! The mission age has been lowered, and now more than ever, young people are asking themselves important questions:

  • How do I know if I really have a testimony?
  • Am I ready to serve a mission?
  • What does the Spirit feel like?

John Bytheway suggests that we "F.E.E.L." the truthfulness of the gospel through our feelings, our experiences, the many evidences we encounter, and our logical conclusions about how a loving God interacts with His children on the earth. Like gradually turning up a dimmer switch, understanding all the ways we F.E.E.L. our testimony will help it grow brighter.

As you read, you may discover that your testimony is stronger than you thought, and you'll also become more excited and motivated to let your light shine!


This book is available in eBook, Audio book, and Paperback