Friday, January 30, 2015

Review: John Bytheway Talk Entitled "Embark!"

I'm excited to share a review of John Bytheway's talk on CD entitled Embark! As a youth leader in the Young Women program and, more importantly, the mother of a teenager, I looked forward to this discussion based on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' mutual theme for 2015. Besides, it's a talk from John Bytheway and everybody loves him!

Product Description:

An ideal talk that supports the new 2015 Mutual theme!

In this motivating talk related to the 2015 youth theme, John Bytheway explains what it means to truly embark — to get fully on board in the service of God with all your heart, might, mind, and strength. Using scriptures, powerful stories, and his characteristic humor, John explains that with the Savior's help, we can remain on board and eventually stand blameless before God at the last day.

My Review:

First off, I have to share an amusing story. I was painting my stairwell while listening to this CD. My cellphone was sitting next to the CD player so that it wasn't in my pocket as I bent down and moved around. Sometime soon after starting the CD, my fifteen-year-old son wandered in and started listening to the CD, making comments to me and thoroughly enjoying the talk. (I wish he were that way with all Church things, but after EFY last year, John Bytheway has become one of his special favorites.) My son was "supposed" to be getting ready to go somewhere, but I realized he was lingering so that he could listen in. I offered to pause it so he wouldn't miss anything, which he eagerly accepted (this, of course, is a review and endorsement of its own, really).

But the funny part was that when I went to turn pause the CD, I noticed the most recent words spoken were printed on the screen of my phone. I stood there puzzling for a moment before I heard something like, "I can't find this anywhere." I realized that near the beginning of the talk, John Bytheway jokes about asking Siri a question. He must have said something like, "Hey, Siri . . ." which woke up the Siri in my phone, and she was trying to find everything he had been saying on the internet! It was kind of cool.

Anyway, I LOVED this talk. I even listened to it twice within a few days because I still had painting projects and didn't want the talk to be over. As a youth leader, I found myself thinking about the different ways I can maybe use this to help inspire the young women I work with. I thought about car rides to activities. (Girls' Camp is a while away, but I'm sure I'll use it then. They'll be ready for a refresher on the mutual theme, right?) In addition, the CD is broken up into different tracks that will make it easy for me to locate and play smaller sections I might use in a lesson. I already mentioned how the talk caught and held my teenager's interest. And then it was inspiring to me. I felt the Spirit whisper to me things I could do to improve myself, help others, and serve more faithfully--in short, embark 100% on the gospel train. The talk is classic John Bytheway--full of humorous stories, personal experiences, and everyday examples of how we can serve with all our hearts, might, mind, and strength. He's a fabulous speaker because you can feel his passion for the subject, his genuine interest in the youth, and his love for the Lord. Embark! is an inspiring CD and one I will listen to over and over.

Embark! is available on CD, MP3, and eBook
AmazonDeseret Book

About the Author:

JOHN BYTHEWAY served a mission to the Philippines and later graduated from Brigham Young University. He has a master’s degree in religious education and is a part-time instructor at the BYU Salt Lake Center. John is the author of many bestselling books, audio talks, and DVDs, including How to Be an Extraordinary Teen; Life Rocks; and his first children’s picture book, The Sacrament. He and his wife, Kimberly, have six children.