Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Review: Wedding Cake by Josi S. Kilpack

Wedding Cake is the twelfth and final book in culinary mystery series by Josi Kilpack. The books have become a staple in the diet of LDS readers over the past several years, and I wonder what readers will reach for now when they crave a sweet fix. With the series' popularity, I'm sure the books with the iconic book covers will still be on the shelves at LDS bookstores around the country for years to come, but I'm also looking forward to Josi Kilpack's next grand adventure (and excited that I have the next one on my shelf ready to read soon!). When I decided I wanted to write LDS fiction a few years ago, a couple of Josi Kilpack's earlier books were the first I read, and she inspired me to follow that dream (even if she doesn't know it).

But on to why we're actually here. . .

Book Description:

After years of mysteries, murder, and mayhem, the big day has arrived, and Sadie wants nothing more than for her wedding to Pete to be completely uneventful. When she receives a threatening, anonymous text message just days before the ceremony, she's determined not to let it interfere with the celebration she has carefully planned for months. But as the threat escalates from a distant fear to a frightening reality, Sadie realizes just how much she's underestimated the situation. Desperate to put an end to the games, lies, and manipulation that has shadowed her life, Sadie, her fiance, Pete, and her children pull out all the stops. What they don't know, however, is just how far Sadie's nemesis is willing to go to make good on the threat she made to Sadie three years ago.

Will the wedding go off without a hitch, or will "'til death do us part" come far too soon? There's no turning back for anyone in the riveting conclusion to this twelve-volume culinary mystery series.

My Review:

While it may seem I don't have much to say, it's because this book was, honestly, pretty fun and super cute, and I don't want to give anything away. I have to laugh when remembering how it starts out with a stern warning from the author NOT to read the book if you haven't read ALL of the previous books. Should I admit here that I haven't? I've read several of them--starting with the first, then skipping around unaware of their publication order and happy that it didn't matter--but I didn't have time to read them all before reviewing this book. In case you're tempted to do what I did, you'll be okay if you do--I absolutely enjoyed the book. BUT, I do wonder if there are things I missed by not reading them all, and certainly not all close enough together to remember the details about all the characters and plots.

But that doesn't change the fact that I loved this book. In fact, I think it shows how expert an author Josi Kilpack is. She is able to craft not only a great standalone story, but she's also able to pull together eleven other books and tie them up fantastically in this, the final one. It is an exciting, clever, and perfect end to the series. She had me guessing wrong on a few things, scrambling to forge ahead (I just HAD to know what was going to happen--yeah, almost late to work today because I didn't want to put it down the last couple of chapters), and satisfied with everything. The end blew me away with its unexpectedness and cleverness. I would highly recommend this series and especially this book.


Wedding Cake is available in eBook and Paperback


About the Author:

Josi S. Kilpack began her first novel in 1998. Her seventh novel, Sheep’s Clothing, won the 2007 Whitney Award for Mystery/Suspense. Wedding Cake is Josi’s twenty-second novel and the twelfth book in the Sadie Hoffmiller Culinary Mystery Series. Josi currently lives in Willard, Utah, with her husband and children.