Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review: Amazed by Grace by Sheri Dew

Product Description:

What is grace? What difference can grace make in our lives? How does the Savior make His power available to us? And what must we do to gain access to that power?
In Amazed by Grace, Sheri Dew discusses each of those important questions, exploring a topic that she describes as being central to the Atonement of Jesus Christ. "The most compelling, most life-changing message of all time," she writes, "is that Jesus Christ has already triumphed over sin, death, hell, temptation, and every kind of misery."

As we come to more fully understand the majestic doctrine of grace, our faith will increase. We will see how the Savior keeps His promise to make weak things strong. And we will believe the truth that "His Atonement makes available all of the power, peace, light, and strength that we need to deal with life's challenges."

My Review:

Before Saturday (March 7), I'd never had the opportunity to listen to Sheri Dew speak in person. Knowing she was coming to speak in my stake, I offered to read and review her newest book, Amazed by Grace, a few days after I would hear her speak. We were asked to be seated in the chapel (and overflow, where I ended up) twenty-five minutes before the meeting, so I brought the book along, wondering if she would share the same information from the book in her talk. I read almost the entire book while I was waiting for the meeting to begin. It's a nice little hardback book, and obviously, a quick read. Grace is one of the principles of the gospel I have been trying to understand more recently, and I learned so much from what Sheri Dew teaches in the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it gave me a few things to ponder and a couple of "a-ha" moments. Although she shared maybe one of the same stories and another idea or concept from the book, her talk was not exactly the same, so for me, it was totally worth it--the bonus of getting a little bit more. I enjoyed her way of teaching and look forward to rereading the book in the future as I learn to understand grace even more.

About the Author:

Sheri Dew is a native of Ulysses, Kansas, and a graduate of Brigham Young University. She has authored several books, including the biographies of two presidents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Presidents Gordon B. Hinckley and Ezra Taft Benson. Her most recent books are God Wants a Powerful People and Saying It Like It Is. Sheri was named the president and CEO of Deseret Book Company in March 2002. She also serves as a member of both the BYU Marriott School of Management’s National Advisory Council and the President’s Leadership Council for BYU-Hawaii. In March 2003 the White House appointed her as a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women and Girls at the United Nations.

Amazed by Grace is available in Hardcover and eBook