Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Review: Two Books on the Atonement by Brad Wilcox

Okay, all seriousness here, Brad Wilcox is awesome! Just had to be said.

I first heard (about, of, and actually listened to) him at BYU Education Week last summer, and once I heard one class, I didn't want to miss one all week. Sometime during his class, I realized I'd actually read one of his articles on the Atonement of Jesus Christ before, but hadn't really remembered the author so much as the teachings and feelings. But I dare say I won't forget his name again.

But I digress. I'm here to review two of his new releases: The Continuous Atonement for Teens and Practicing for Heaven. Although some of the material can be found in his speeches and classes online, there was much I hadn't heard before and well worth having the books in my hands.

Practicing for Heaven is a children's book about the grace we receive from our Savior Jesus Christ. The Parable of the Piano Lessons, this book is the perfect parable. It explains grace in a way many can understand, making a sometimes difficult concept easier to grasp. It was this parable I'd been introduced to in the article I'd read of his long before I remembered his name, and I am so excited to have it in children's book form. The illustrations are beautiful (and it's fun to see where the cat is in each picture--I can imagine children loving to look for that each page). I can imagine reading this book to Primary children or in FHE would make a great introduction to the doctrine of our Savior's saving grace.
Subtitled

The Continuous Atonement for Teens could very well have had the "for Teens" part of the title omitted. Again, I'd heard parts of this in previous talks, but there are so many parts I hadn't heard before. Poignant and clear explanations of the grace and Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. Perfect for teens and young adults who are working on understanding these key principles of salvation. This book is a beautiful reminder and a great resource from an insightful instructor. I used it recently when preparing a Young Women's class and it helped generate a great discussion. I guess I need to look up Brad Wilcox's The Continuous Atonement to compare, and maybe even gain a little more insight.

Practicing for Heaven and The Continuous Atonement are two indispensable resources for teaching about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I'm so glad I have access to them!*



Practicing for Heaven is available in Hardcover
The Continuous Atonement for Teens is also available in Paperback and eBook
AmazonDeseret Book

*I received complimentary copies for my honest reviews.