Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Review: Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson


I so thoroughly enjoyed this book and everything about it! So much so, that I wish I could give it more than five stars. So much so, that I am reviewing it after it's been out three and a half years and already has 1107 reviews (and mine isn't needed). So much that I am reviewing it, not because someone asked if I'd be interested, but because I desperately wanted to. So here goes . . .

Book Description:

Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she'll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry. From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will Marianne be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.

My Review:

Edenbrooke is a fabulous book full of laughs and tingles. Donaldson's writing is enchanting--the language both modern and yet perfect for the time period, a Regency novel that is comfortable, not stuffy. It's funny with a hint of intrigue. I don't know if she does so purposefully, but I enjoyed how Donaldson pays homage to Pride & Prejudice, Beauty & the Beast, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and even a little of The Princess Bride. Marianne is independent and a bit sassy, fun-loving and intelligent. Philip is kind and thoughtful, playful and genuine. He's also good at picking up hints and knows how to give impeccable gifts. He's the perfect hero, and I look forward to reading Heir to Edenbrooke. But what makes it different from other Regency sweet romance books that I loved? First, I especially enjoyed the circumstances of their meeting. Second, how Marianne is so unlike the women she is surrounded by and how that attracts Philip. And third, the dance scene. Ahh!
Read it. You'll love it!

Edenbrooke

is available in eBook, Paperback, and Audiobook