Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Review: Heir to Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Heir to Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson


Yesterday I posted my review on Edenbrooke (the original book). Although it's been out a couple of years and it had been recommended to me by several different readers I should have trusted, I didn't get around to reading it until lately. Wow, I was glad I did! When I posted about it on Facebook, I was told that the prequel would be released just a couple of weeks later. How excited I was when Shadow Mountain approached me with the opportunity to review it. Of course, I accepted. Here's what I thought.

Book Description:

Philip Wyndham has never envied his older brother for being the heir to Edenbrooke. He would much rather carve out his own destiny than live under the constraints of that position. But when his older brother dies unexpectedly, Philip's life is turned upside down as duty requires him to give up the life he planned. Philip takes on his new role as the most sought-after bachelor in London with alternating reluctance, boredom, and resentment. But all that changes the night fate leads him to an inn, where he meets the incomparable Marianne Daventry.

My Thoughts:

I LOVED IT! Be aware that this is truly, as marked, a prequel novelette. Meaning it is short. Perhaps three to five chapters (I'm not sure because I had my Kindle Fire read it to me). But if you keep that in mind, it is fabulous! Getting into Philip's head, seeing his motivations and the backstory to the scene where he meets Marianne made so much sense. It was so fun experiencing that scene from the other side, and made me like Philip even more than when I read Edenbrooke, which was a lot. Donaldson's writing is exquisite, and worth every word. Of course, I wish it were longer--I would have liked to see the ball from his point of view--but overall, this was enough to understand his character more. This prequel is a MUST for anyone who loved Edenbrooke!

Heir to Edenbrooke

is available in eBook


AmazonBarnes & Noble •  Deseret Book

Don't forget to add Heir to Edenbrooke to your Goodreads bookshelf.


*I received a complimentary ebook copy in exchange for my honest review.