Thursday, December 10, 2015

Review: Sweets & Treats with Six Sisters' Stuff



Book Description:

Who doesn't love dessert? The Six Sisters have gathered together more than 100 of their best dessert recipes into one cookbook that the whole family will enjoy. From cakes and cupcakes and cookies to pies and brownies and ice cream, this cookbook has the easy-to-make, family-friendly recipes you've come to expect from the Six Sisters.

Along with the sweet treats you can make at home are dozens of gift ideas and at-home craft projects that will help you make the most of your desserts. Learn how to make cake stands, start new traditions around birthdays and holidays, and prepare simple but memorable gifts for friends and neighbors.

Full-color photographs of each recipe and craft bring every mouth-watering treat to life.

My Review:


This review is going to be a little different, well, because the review process was a little different. But first, I have to admit, when I was given the opportunity to review this cookbook, it was a no-brainer, I mean, who doesn't like desserts, right? But I was a little worried, because most cookbooks I receive don't end up being something I use--either because they are too gourmet for my tastes, too complicated, or require things I never have around the house. This one is PERFECT! There's a variety of desserts--everything from cookies and brownies to pies and cheesecakes. They have fruity and chocolatey and everything in between. There are movie treats and desserts for formal soirees. Everything you could want. It will take me years to make everything in this book, but I can't wait to try!

The recipes are easy and call for ingredients I surprisingly already have around the house. So far, what we've tried have been fabulous, and I'm looking forward to making more. As far as the book itself--the colors and photos are amazing. The layout is intuitive, and the directions are easy to follow. This book is a must-have for any kitchen.

In all honesty, since I was in the middle of finishing my Christmas novella final edits and then editing for a client, I haven't tried it yet myself. My husband, however, (who yes, loves to bake, occasionally,) was the one to pull it out and try two. First he did the Monster Cookies (with more graham cracker crumbs than flour). I LOVED these. He added a couple extra things to the cookies (like mixed nuts) that weren't in the recipe, but he was quick to point out that the "small type" gave him permission. Sure enough, the recipe encourages adding whatever you want. So he did. I loved how soft these cookies were (and stayed until they were all eaten). I liked the hint of graham taste. Yum! Will bake them again for sure.

He tried another recipe--for Scotcheroos--but my husband substitutes Cheerios for Rice Krispies (because of what he had on hand). They turned out tasting pretty good, though they looked nothing like the fabulous photo they have. :)

I, personally, am looking forward to making chocolate cheesecake for Christmas! (I'll have to let you know how it goes.)

Sweets & Treats with Six Sisters' Stuff

is available in paperback


AmazonBarnes & Noble • Deseret Book

Don't forget to add Sweets & Treats with Six Sisters' Stuff to your Goodreads bookshelf.

*I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review.