Sunday, August 7, 2016

Review: Beauty and the Clockwork Beast

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen


Book Description:

When Lucy Pickett arrives at Blackwell Manor to tend to her ailing cousin, Kate, she finds more than she bargained for. A restless ghost roams the hallways, werewolves have been reported in the area, and vampires lurk across the Scottish border.

Lord Miles himself is clearly hiding a secret. he is brash and inhospitable and does not take kindly to visitors--even one as smart and attractive as Miss Pickett. he is unsettled by the mysterious deaths of his new wife, Clara, and his sister Marie. Could Miles himself be to blame for the deaths?

Working together, Miles and Lucy attempt to restore peace to Blackwell manor. But can Lucy solve the mystery of Miles? Can she love the man--beast and all?

My Review:

First off, DON'T read the Amazon book description! It gives away the entire plot. Talk about spoiler alerts. Also, I find it odd that my ARC paperback has a quote on the front from Publisher's Weekly and the cover designer thought it would look great to have one red star in front of the quote. Not only does the color clash terribly and look completely out of place, but one star has a bad connotation when it should really be given five stars. Otherwise, the cover is beautiful.

That being said, here's my REAL thoughts on the book itself.

What a perfect blend of a kaleidoscope of genres: Victorian, gothic, romance, paranormal, mystery, and steampunk! This was my introduction steampunk, and I loved it. Nancy Campbell Allen's writing is beautiful, the story gripping, the romance sweet. I especially enjoyed the paranormal and steampunk characteristics that added unique flavor to the story. An inventive retelling of Beauty and the Beast with shadows of Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White and Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. It is certainly a novel I will recommend to my book club, friends, and anyone else who might listen to me, and one I nominated for a Whitney Award. Super fun. You don't want to miss this one!

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast

by Nancy Campbell Allen

is available in Paperback & eBook