Monday, October 3, 2016

Review: The Sheriffs of Savage Wells by Sarah M. Eden


Book Description:


The small town of Savage Wells is barely big enough for the people who call it home; it certainly isn’t big enough for more than one sheriff.

Yet when famed lawman Cade O’Brien rides into town, he finds he’s not the only man ready to take on the job. What’s more, one of his competitors is a woman.

Paisley Bell loves her town and the eccentric people in it. She’s been the job to anyone else. Not only does she love the work, but she also needs the income to take care of her ailing father.

It’s a true battle of the sexes, and sparks fly between the two as Cade and Paisley banter and boast, neither one ready to acknowledge the attraction they have for each other. But when Paisley’s former beau shows up, along with a band of bank robbers, Savage Wells is suddenly faced with the kind of peril that only a sheriff can manage. Who will be man enough—or woman enough—to step up, claim the badge, and save the town?


My Review:


While I read a lot of sweet romances, I enjoy contemporary settings most, with a few historicals thrown in if like the author. Westerns, though, are really not my thing. Because I had enjoyed Sarah Eden's Hope Springs series, however, I decided to give this one a shot. After the first couple of chapters, I almost decided to abandon the book completely. There wasn't anything wrong with it other than my particular mood, so eventually I returned to the book (a couple weeks later) in preparation for this review. And I'm fairly glad I did.

If you like clean, western romances, you'll want to snag this one. Absolutely no bad language (though I didn't particularly care for vainly addressing "Saints" or "Heavens" all the time) and no more than yummy kisses, this is appropriate for all ages. I grew to like the characters, and the theme of a female "lawman" being as good as a male one had me more than once humming "Anything You Can Do" from Annie Get Your Gun (which was appropriate on many levels). Some of the things I liked most about the book were the quirky townsfolk, and of course, the absolutely adorable, snarky banter between Cade and Paisley--one of Eden's fortes. Eden has a way of making even the Wild West worth the trip for me. A pleasant escape in a well-written novel.

*I received an advance reader's copy in exchange for my honest review. Which reminds me, there was one place, on page 52, where there was a continuity issue that threw me off. I expected and ignored the few typos, but this omission of an important fact left me confused for a couple of pages. I hope they fixed that in the final copy!



The Sheriffs of Savage Wells

by Sarah M. Eden

is available in Paperback & eBook