Monday, November 7, 2016

My Thanksgiving Novella: Kayaks & Kisses

I'm thrilled to take a moment to announce my latest novella. I have had so much fun writing these sweet holiday romances--last year one for Christmas, called Home for the Holidays, and this year for Thanksgiving, called Kayaks & Kisses.

When I found out my publisher, Trifecta, was looking for a Thanksgiving novella this year, my mind went only one place--to Ruidoso, New Mexico, a small mountain resort town that my family fell in love with. As I started planning the plot, another of my favorite Thanksgiving time things came to mind--the movie You've Got Mail. It is absolutely one of my very favorite. As I was researching and drafting, I decided to watch The Shop Around the Corner as well, which was a first for me (I usually avoid black-and-white movies because I hate the way the actors talk), but it was adorable. I loved when I recognized scenes that were in both movies, and those were the scenes I tried to put my own spin on in Kayaks & Kisses. I hope, overall, the book is a fresh twist on a classic.

What I didn't realize was that there are two musicals as well that are based off of the original Hungarian play that inspired them all. I was only able to watch snippets of the musicals on YouTube, but I'm glad I did--especially the 1949 In the Good Ol' Summertime with Judy Garland. The other musical, She Loves Me, looks like another I would like to see more of.

I had so much fun with last year's couple, Keenan and Avery, in Home for the Holidays. I knew I wanted them to make a cameo appearance in this year's novella. What I didn't know was that they would have more than a cameo role. They ended up being fairly important side characters, which was super fun for me--and I hope for readers as well.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to connect them to next year's Halloween novella...

Look for the Season of Thanks line of sweet novellas. You can find
Kayaks & Kisses in two formats

and